Do you want to hear something crazy? I did not have any idea how much pleasure was available to me in my body until I was in a whole lot of pain. My body has experienced the high of dancing on stage with joy and ease to the "show stopping" pain of being unable to move a single joint in my body without a searing and stabbing sensation penetrating throughout.
It was in one of those "show stopping" moments that I learned about how to use pleasure as a balance to the pain. That was over 7 years ago now, and I have been exploring this phenomenon of pleasure and pain since then.
This is what I want you to know:
* Pain can be physical, emotional, psychological, energetic, spiritual, etc. No matter where it derives from, pleasure is a source of relief.
* Pain and pleasure live right next door to each other within our bodies. We do have a choice.
* Pleasure medicine, as I call it, can mean laughter, sensuality, sexuality, and beauty (to name a few).
* The above mentioned pleasure medicine lives within us 24/7.
* There are no side effects from pleasure.
* We all live with pain.
When we are able to ramp up the pleasure in our lives, we are engaging in a form of preventative medicine.
Simple pleasures are the very best. Here is a starter list of my most enjoyable simple pleasures.
* Drinking coffee (with cream) in the morning outside in fresh air
* Reading, posting and telling jokes on a weekly basis
* Feeling the breeze blow across my skin
* Savoring the taste of a juicy mango
* Listening to the birds
* Smelling the fragrance of lilacs
* Giving and getting a hug
* Enjoying an Arizona sunset
* Talking to my daughter on the phone or skype
* Having a whole day with no plans
What can you add?